Sunday, June 1, 2014

Complicated Water Filters

Last week, we went about ordering and installing a reverse osmosis water filtration system under the kitchen sink. The goal of this is that I will be allowed to drink the tap water that has been filtered, rather than having to purchase spring water by the gallon and lug it everywhere.

We had a friend install the hardware for us: 4 filters, lots of tubing and hoses, plumbing insertions, and tank. In order to access the drinking fountain, we had to remove our sprayer from the kitchen faucet and use the hole in the countertop for the drinking faucet.

I'm pretty spoiled, so I talked the hubby into letting me get a new faucet that has one of the pull down sprayers. We got one so it could all be installed by the 'expert' (more expert than us). It was great! It had one of those magnetic clips that pulled the sprayer head back up easily, and the sprayer had lots of options.

Unfortunately, the handle kept hitting our window sill. I love having the large windows with wide window sills, but they can cause problems sometimes. There is a clearance of 9 inches from the top of the counter to the widow ledge, with a 2 inch depth. There are very few faucets that fit that, especially one with a pull-down sprayer. We returned the first one, and I spent about 45 minutes looking at walls of faucets in Home Depot with a very nice salesman who was interested in trying to help me find something that would fit. I finally settled on a Delta faucet, and just prayed that it would fit in the space.

It has one of those on-the-side handles, so that wouldn't be a problem, and it had the magnetic clip-in for the sprayer (big bonus!). I was actually able to install it myself, it wasn't nearly as difficult as I was expecting. The friend who was working on the plumbing was pretty sure that would be the case, but I wasn't sure. It was a little validating to be able to do mechanical stuff. :-)

Anyway, the whole purpose of this was that after the filter was installed, I put in the 4 actual filters that clean the water.

And nothing happened.

We tried half a dozen things that I found as possible troubleshooting processes. Three days later, I gave up and called the tech support line. The guy on the line asked me various questions, and said that I probably had just not gotten the filters installed all the way. Apparently it's very common. I told him I turned them (they screw in as part of an easy exchange system) all the way I could. To myself, I thought, I know that I screwed those in all the way.

He was definitely correct. I turned the first filter and heard a whoosh of water running into the filter. Each of the four were finally turned all the way, and the RO system was working! It's very nice.

Now I no longer have to worry about drinking water from the tap and I can cook with good water too! It's very exciting. And I still have no pain! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment